Hawleys Engineering Logo
 
Navbar top
 
Home
History
Services
Products
Contact
Location
 
Navigation Bar Bottom
 
 
 
Hawley's Engineering 1926
Hawley's HistoryHawley's Engineering 1926
Hawley's Engineering 1986
 Hawley's Engineering was established in 1938 by Les Hawley who was a mechanic and general fabricator.

 The outbreak of the Second World War saw this small fabrication shop transformed into an assembly line carrying out "truck conversions". Vehicles from America were imported as "flat top" trucks and along the assembly line were converted into APC's (armoured personnel carriers) and then shipped out again. After the war the factory returned to its general fabrication and repair heritage.

 In 1948 Les Hawley, with his experience and insight into the manufacturing process, began making radical changes in the thermal cutting field. The most historical was working alongside Commonwealth Industrial Gases (CIG) in the development and design of "electronic flame cutters".

 As the business became established, a larger area was acquired including the property next door located at 110 Forest Road. In the 1960's, an extension was added to the rear of the factory, specifically to house one of the largest surface grinders ever imported into Australia. Imported from Czechoslovakia the "Tos" vertical spindle surface grinder has ground thousands of profiles in its 45 year history with the company.

 In 1972 Ross Hawley began his apprenticeship and is now the present operator. Over the years he has seen the manufacturing process change significantly. Gone are the old CIG type 48 machines which needed templates to be custom made.

 Today, Hawley's Engineering only use the latest and most modern profile cutters. These Japanese machines are considered the best in the market and almost all have CNC controllers attached to them ensuring a high quality finished product. At the end of 1997, Glen Hawley began his apprenticeship and is now the third generation to work in the business. Hawley's Engineering is now a third generation family company. In its 67 year history it has constantly developed and changed with advancing technology. More importantly the company's success has been its response to a perceived need as illustrated with specialist jobs in contrast to mass production. This is a company which has thrived due to its family dedication and personal service.